Thursday 23 April 2015

Horrid Weekend


When something happens to your child, an inbuilt survival mode is activated. It doesn't matter how tired you are, or how much pain there is. You become ambivalent to it, because no matter what, taking care of them trumps all. Last weekend my daughter had a seizure, something called a febrile convulsion, in reaction to a high temperature. It's a horrific thing to witness for the first time, scary and helpless. They are pretty common amongst young children, although unfortunately hers was a complicated one which is not as common. Things like meningitis were batted around but luckily in the end, after many tests and medicines and IV's she was cleared of anything nasty and after 3 days in hospital we came home.
Bar my going crazy over no sleep for a couple of days (and constantly stopping said child from pulling her lines) the fatigue and pain I would usually suffer was put aside, for the care of my child came first. Unfortunately for me, it decided to come back with a vengence once we returned home, and my recovery from her recovery took place!

But motherhood amazes me. That we can pull something from within to break through our own pain when it comes to the needs of our young. I face it on a daily basis in milder form, that I take care of them making sure they are fed and warm and loved, no matter how I am feeling. But to experience it in such an extreme, it's just a biological marvel.

No comments:

Post a Comment